Random Acts of Living


Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day 2009!

July 4th is when the family gathers at my house.

The grandchildren make full use of the pool, keeping cool on the hot July days.
My son-in-law is our grill chef and this year they had a new grill to use with our grill that we got last year.
Friday night we had rain. It started out nice and gentle. It came and went, came and went. Later it came down heavier and around 4:30 or 5am my campers all came inside to sleep. The tent below caved. These tents are just NOT designed to deal with anything but nice weather.
My handyman son and I had stayed up cleaning up the studio and making it ready to use, but the campers didn't know this. Here you can see that we later set up a table and chairs and the grandchildren ate their breakfast in the studio. They were really enjoying the shade in the backyard too.
Time for fireworks and getting them all sorted and divided out. See the large red package in the center of the table? That's 4,000 firecrackers in 4 bundles. These were set off all at the same time, 4 people lighting one each of the bundles. I was in the house when this was done and it sounded like it went on forever.
When I went outside the street was cover with what looked to be little pieces of red tissue paper. Click on the picture below and look at the street. This is what it looked like for at least a block.
The sil got out on the street with a broom and cleaned this all up before it had a chance to blow anywhere. This picture may look a bit blurry because I was experimenting with the settings on my camera. This picture was taken after sundown without a flash. I was trying to remember the settings for taking pictures of fireworks.
I am attempting to put the slide show for my fireworks in this post. If the slide show doesn't work I may have to post it by itself.


Slide Show Removed and posted individually on July 7

After the fireworks the big "boys" got down to the games on the side of the house. I sat back at the firepit and help the grandkids make s'mores.
Here's a flash photo of the outside theater from behind the firewood pile.
We had a wonderful 4th of July, even with the rain interrupting out sleep.

2 comments:

poefusion said...

It looks like you guys had a great time. I love that you had a film night. Were you playing home movies?

The red paper in the road looked like confetti. I'm glad you had so many family members to share you night with. Have a great day.

Moonshadow said...

On Friday night we had a movie but on the 4th the guys played HALO.

It did look like confetti, but it also looked a lot like litter that my neighbors wouldn't want in their yards. I didn't post a picture of ALL the family that was there. I'll have to take a look at the pictures my daughter took, see if she got some better shots.