Its only real setback is that it only has two settings, on and off. It's not what I would call a slow cooker because it does bring the food to a boil. I bought it years ago for little smokies in BBQ sauce and only recently have been using it for regular cooking. I thought I'd share the easy two meals I made the other day.
Easy Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- 1 lb of Chicken Breasts
- 3 Peppers (Green, Red & Yellow), sliced
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 1 Package of Taco Seasoning
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Toppings - sour cream, cheese, guacamole, etc.
- Slice peppers and onions then place them on the bottom of the crock pot
- Put Chicken on top of peppers and onions
- Sprinkle taco seasoning on the top
- Cook on low for 6-8 hrs (or high for 3-4)
- Shred everything up and mix together
- Serve with tortillas and all the toppings - sour cream, guacamole, cheese, lettuce, etc.
That is the actual recipe^^^ that I more or less followed. I cut up onion and bell pepper to layer the bottom of the pot and placed three small chicken breasts (frozen) on top. I have a bottle of taco seasoning...
...that I sprinkled freely over the chicken. Put the lid on, turned it on and let it cook for 4 hours. Instead of making fajitas though, we had fajita salads. They're like taco salads except with chicken fajita meat and vegetables.
I added black beans but not corn or avocado. I think I like the salad better than a wrap. One of the granddaughters was here and she didn't care for the onions or bell pepper which left me with quite a bit of taco flavored broth, bell pepper and onion. Back to the web to search for a recipe for Chicken Taco Soup. I scoured through all the recipes for common ingredients and find I only need to add the half cans of diced tomato and black beans that I already had opened for the salad, then a can of whole kernel corn and a can of kidney beans. This made for a full pot. Later I added a little more taco seasoning and taco sauce.
Quick to prepare and easy to make. Full of flavor, I really like it. The only picture that I did take was of the nearly empty pot.
These two dishes will absolutely get repeat performances. Let me know if you give them a try and what you think.