Random Acts of Living


Saturday, February 9, 2008

1901 Homestead & 1912 Crop

I love these pictures, I just wish that I had scanned them in a higher DPI but space to store pictures wasn't as easy to come by when these pictures were acquired. This is the Abraham Heinrichs homestead on the Colorado prairie. This is also the area that the postcards addressed to Kirk or Joes Colorado came to. I do believe the house is a soddie.

Written on the back of this picture is the sad truth that farmers face year in and year out, this beautiful crop was hailed down the day after this picture was taken. The older couple in the picture is my Great-grandparents, Abraham & Helena (Peters) Heinrichs.

3 comments:

Anita said...

Doesn't that just make your heart ache when you read about the destruction of that crop? They had no crop insurance, or subsidies or the posibility of a job in town to tide them over when their crops failed...

I remember when wheat was this tall, before the height was "bred" out of it... I used to play in the wheat and it was as tall as I was... now it's only a foot tall, but more grain...


Fabulous pictures...

Moonshadow said...

Life as a farmer is/was a gamble. Now, at least, as you mentioned, crop insurance is available. My dad, when he was discharged from the military after WWII tried his hand at farming. He planted, got rained out, planted again, got rained out again, planted a third time and was able to harvest enough to pay off his bills from the previous plantings and decided that farming wasn't for him. My grandparents and those before them lived on faith and the faith community. They may not have had crop insurance but they had neighbors that helped out just as they helped out others. I never say anyone turned away from my grandparents door.

Anita said...

Thats so true...