Random Acts of Living


Sunday, August 9, 2009

Small Town Snapshot Sunday #10

Wendy at On the Front Porch hosts Small Town Snapshot Sunday. Check out the other participating bloggers on Wendy's blog, then join us and post one of your own!

I've had tummy troubles this last week and haven't ventured very far outside the house. My daughter says that there's "something" going around. She's had girls at work out with the same troubles. You'd think that since I was stuck inside I'd have gotten things posted during the week, wouldn't you? I just didn't feel up to it. So here's a weeks worth of pictures, the short form.

I had my first zinnia bloom this week. I actually only had a couple come up, so this really stands out in the garden.
Across the alley from me there is a berry thicket. Previous neighbors had planted it years ago. I don't see any berries on it so I'm not sure what they are. Can anyone tell just by looking at this photo?
Here's a nice little veggie crop I picked last week. Leaf lettuce to the left and arugula to the right. After our BBQ I took the left over corn on the cob and cut it off the cob. I cooked the corn together with some string beans and snow peas. The kids had a problem with it (didn't taste like canned) but I thought it was scrumptious. Now, see that little red tomato? It's actually got enough bad spots in it that I didn't eat it, but it was the first red tomato out of the garden. The funny thing is, it came off plant in the next picture.
See the scrawny tomato plant in the middle? It's been sickly, but looks like it's trying to make a comeback. Regardless, it had the first red tomato of the season.
My poor, poor pumpkin patch. I think I'm losing it. I hope my pumpkin survives.
I had a nice surprise this morning. The pretty pink bloom on the moss rose in the playhouse window box.
Isn't that a pretty flower? Just wait till the Princess sees it.
In my last post on Tuesday I said I'd post pictures of the work that my friends had done in my studio. Well, I took the pictures, but I never got them posted. So here they are. This was a lot of work. Any time you're working over your head it's harder to do.
All the way down to the top of the loft. Now I just need to get my son to put up the wallboard.
I've got wasps making their home under the eve of my showerhouse. I need to go to What's That Bug? Insect identification to find out if these are helpful to my garden or not. Last year I killed and chased off some that only the queen would sting and killed bugs harmful to my garden. So I don't want to make the same mistake this year.
I'll try to get out and about more to give you a little more of small town living. I just have so much going on at home and this is what I moved to a small town for, the peace and quiet.



Small Town Snapshot Sunday

10 comments:

Joe Todd said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. The groundhog devestated a portion of my garden. Corn,peppers,and tomatoes are ok though. Have a great day Joe Todd

Girl Tornado said...

Yes, I love small town living! Don't worry, EVERYONE has been so busy lately and hasn't been posting on their blogs or visiting as much. It's just the way of summer. When winter starts to lay us all up again, you'll see everyone around more! :)

You've got way more out of your garden than I've gotten from the few potted plants I put in. Hopefully next year we'll have our garden!

Hope you feel better soon!!

Wendy said...

Sorry you're feeling bad but good job with STSS anyway! I think you are right about something going around. We've got it in our neighboring state. Yesterday my son threw up in the grocery store right there in front of about 20 people. Nice!

Anonymous said...

The building is really coming along! You have been working hard. Gorgeous photos of the flowers and veggies. :-) Too dry here for either one! ha I'm jealous!

http://neeneessoapshop.blogspot.com/2009/08/small-town-snapshot-sunday-we-finally.html

Thanks for linking! Renee and Cullen

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

It has been super crazy as far as being busy, posting and commenting on blogs. I sure hope you feel better soon...never fun to be under the weather. Zinnias are a breath of fresh air!

Moonshadow said...

Thank you everyone for stopping by and commenting.

Joe Todd - sounds like you'll have the makings for a salsa anyway. :)

OG - with the rain earlier my garden should have more produce for me in the next day or two.

Wendy - Well, hope you stay well then.

R & C - Thank you. We've had more rain than usual. About this time all the grass turns yellow.

Alicia - thanks for stopping by. I really need to plant more flowers. :)

Bob Johnson said...

I'm loving your studio, looks like it is starting to take shape, must be very exciting for you.

Moonshadow said...

I've got to get back to work on it. I'm thinking about going out there tonight. My son's work schedule isn't always the same, so it makes it difficult.

Peter said...

Hi! Hoping you're on the mend. If not, do you want me to pack my bags and come over to look after you?

As for those bugs - paper wasps perhaps!

Take Care,
Peter

Moonshadow said...

Peter - Whatever was ailing me didn't last, but thanks for the offer. :)

Yes, I think they're a paper wasp, but there's more than one kind. Some are more aggressive than others.