Random Acts of Living


Thursday, January 3, 2008

Looking Back

Sorry I have been so negligent in posting to my blog, I kind of ran out of steam at the end of the year. I was tagged with a couple of memes at the end of December, one of them a Christmas meme which I think I will hold off on till the 2008 holiday season (if that's OK with you Anita?). The other was from my good friend Peter, and I will get to it, eventually.

For my first post of the year I'm going to take a look back in time. Anita, this is for you! I was looking through my grandmother's scrap album and found this old flyer from the Greensburg Well. My grandparents, my mother's parents, lived in Goodland and my mother grew up in western Kansas. I've got a couple of pictures of mother and the soddies she lived in. She had an Uncle that ran a soddie museum, I'm not sure what's become of it. I'll do some research and do a post about Kansas soddies this year.

The next newspaper clipping has no date on it, but we figure it was winter 1956-57 because of the ad on the back of it.
The Golden Rocket 88 Fiesta 4dr Station Wagon came out in 1957. There was a popular song called "Rocket 88" made popular by Ike Turner. It is claimed by some, including Sam Phillips — later to become owner of Sun Records, and pioneer rock and roll record producer — to be the "first rock and roll song". (from Wikipedia) A funny coincident, I was just watching Sunday Morning that I had recorded last Sunday and it featured a tribute to Ike Turner with him singing "Rocket 88". And that's my blast from the past this morning.

5 comments:

Anita said...

Wow! Thanks for posting that flyer... I'm so thankful that the well was undamaged... Filled with junk, and the original rock-walled park and gift shop are gone, but the well will survive!!

Amazing photo of the snow... Wow!

That's a pretty nifty old car, and I can't remember the song, but I'm going to look it up now! :)

Peter said...

Hi! Anything built in 1956 thereabouts is great in my books. I have no choice really. Guess what year I was built in? Hmmm..Thats right 1956!

Regards
Peter

Moonshadow said...

Anita - I've got a picture, somewhere, of my brother and I at the well in the '60s. I remember the visit, vaguely.

I love finding these old newspaper clippings. So did you find the song.

Hey Peter - you and me both! 1956 was just a good year. : )

Anita said...

I did! You can hear it here:
http://www.playlist.com/node/23131653

Peter said...

Hi! Dropped by to thank you for the link you directed me to. I am now considering moving into an airport for my own safety. Do you want me to save you a seat? Apparently they have specials for anyone built around the 50's.

Live Long and Prosper!
Peter