Random Acts of Living


Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Patchouli

OK kshippychic, if you're really a hippy you know what patchouli is. I have a big, beautiful, bushy patchouli plant and need some help from you or some of your hippy friends (please direct anyone you think might know my way, if you would).



I would like to make my own patchouli oil from my patchouli plant. Everything I've read indicates that the oil has to be distilled from the plant. Can anyone out there tell me how to do this with things that I have here at home. I'm afraid I don't have a still out back with all my other creative ventures.

Oh, and kshippychic, if you're ever in my neck of the woods (or rather wide open wheat fields) drop by and I'll give you a cutting to start your own patchouli plant.

9 comments:

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

OMG!!! I love the smell so much - and would totally love a snippet!! I wonder if you could use a mortar and pestle and extract the oil that way? Maybe strain it then through a cheesecloth to get the greens out? I will do some asking, as I have never tried this. :)
That is so flippin COOL!

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

I found this quote from someone about it:

"Usually when any oil is extracted from a plant, it's done with a solvent. The process for extracting patchouli oil at home is probably something like: Gather up all your plant matter, steep it in a clean solvent like acetone or isopropyl alchohol, then filter out the solids, evaporate the solvent, and there you are."

And this website:

http://www.depression-guide.com
/essential-oil-extraction.htm

And another qoute here:
"A water and steam distillation arrangement can be compared to a kitchen steamer basket, with the botanicals supported in a "basket" over boiling water, thus exposing the plant material only to the rising steam vapors. This is the best method for distilling leafy materials, but doesn't work well for woods, roots, seeds, etc"

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

Ok last one I promise!!

http://www.naturesgift.com/extraction.htm

Moonshadow said...

I told you we had a lot in common. My son and I will be in Hutch on Aug 11 at McGraws for "BoxABuddy". We do the videography and produce DVDs of the event. I could bring you some cuttings when I come up if you'd want to meet me there.

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

OMG!!! YEEEEEEEESSSSS!! That would be so awesome to meet you! Do you need anyone to take still photos?? LOL!

Moonshadow said...

You're not going to believe this, but I was actually tossing the thought around in my head. I can get you in as our photographer, with T&S Mobile Projectors. I'll email you later with more details.

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Squealing!! :)

Anonymous said...

How do I get the oil after steaming the plant? I have 2 plants in bought in the spring and they have grown huge.

Moonshadow said...

Hey Anon! Wish I had the answer for you, I was never able to get anyone to tell me how to go about making patchouli oil and ALAS! I have lost my plant. Are you in the U.S.? Do you know where I can purchase a new plant?