Random Acts of Living


Sunday, May 23, 2010

Whirlybird

I was sitting at my desk last week and I hear a "whop...whop...whop..." I know that sound, it's a helicopter coming this way. When I go outside I see a helicopter setting down in the soccer field across the street. This is not really unusual, I've seen huge military choppers sit down in that same field in years past. This time it was a Life Team with a mock accident and interacting with S.A.D.D. at our local school. The rescue truck pulled up in the field shortly after they had landed.
This all started around 1pm and there was activity at field...
...then a siren from the north and one ambulance came from out of town and came down to the field while another ambulance took a turn at the highway and headed towards Wichita.
There was a spell during all this that they all went to the school and the field was quiet. Then they gathered back at the field and assembled next to the helicopter.

Around 3:30pm the helicopter took off...
...up...
...and I thought it went away.
I had to go meet the grandkids at their house because their parents were running late getting home but I saw the helicopter circle around town and I think it landed again. Maybe it was taking people on rides, I don't know, but it circled several times before finally heading back to the big city.

2 comments:

Anita said...

That's pretty cool... I always cringe when I see a medical helicopter coming in for a landing here - most of the time they are picking someone up at the hospital, and in a town this small usually I know who it is... our new hospital has it's own landing area so it makes it much more efficient than the ambulance meeting them at the airport.

Moonshadow said...

Not surprising that your nice new hospital has it's own helipad. Amazing what sounds you notice when you live somewhere that's usually pretty quiet. ;)