Random Acts of Living


Monday, January 31, 2011

Folklore Meeting Golden Wheat Chapter AHSGR

The Folklore meeting is one of the most popular meetings of the Golden Wheat Chapter AHSGR. Members are encouraged to bring ethnic German-Russian foods to the potluck dinner. I normally get pictures of the food all set out on the tables before everyone is lined up to indulge. This time I was busy setting up the audio/video equipment so I sent the grandson with the camcorder to capture what he could while everyone was lining up. Below is the quick video of the food follow by the Installation of Officers, the Memorial and the Sing-a-long with Harold.




By the time I finished up and got my my camera out everyone was seated and happily eating.
The food was pretty much gone. Good food never lasts long.
Attending the meetings is time for visiting with friends that don't see each other often enough.
I hope everyone takes time to check out table displays. Our librarian picks choice research and reading books as a sample of what we have available at our chapter. And you wouldn't want to miss out on our fundraisers, noodles, songbooks and cookbooks.

After our meeting we enjoying viewing the video “Children of the Steppe,
Children of the Prairie. The story of the Germans from Russia-agricultural pioneers on several continents whose quest for land and place shaped them into a distinctive and enduring cultural group.”
It was a beautiful day to be out and about and it was another wonderful meeting.

4 comments:

Peter said...

Hi! If only I had been there to taste it all.

Now, I found this place: brownie-camera.com and made some inquires about film but nothing yet. They do recommend JandC Photo, Kansas: on this page: brownie-camera.com/buyfilm.shtml - but that's about the best I can do.

Take Care,
Peter

Moonshadow said...

You're certainly welcome as my guest anytime, Peter!

The Brownie site was really neat, I added it to my Favorites. The JandC not so much. If it WAS a photography store it isn't anymore. Now it links to a search page. :P

Did you know about Kodachrome? That the last roll is to be developed this year. It was already suppose to have happened but then they received a lot more rolls than they had imagined. The only place left for this was in Parsons, Kansas.

It looks like Lawerence Photo is still in business in Wichita, also Douglas Photographic. They both list processing but I don't know if that's ALL types of film or limited. Guess I could always set up my own dark room. :)

Heating Allen Town PA said...

It looks like they're having fun huh is this like a reunion? well great post! Thanks for sharing!

Moonshadow said...

HATPA - Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I guess you could call it a reunion of sorts. We are members of the Golden Wheat Chapter of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia. This meeting, the Folklore Meeting, is one of our most popular because members bring ethnic German/Russian dishes to our dinner. Being in Allen Town PA I'm sure that a lot of the food that is brought would be quite familiar to you. If click on the tag for AHSGR at the end of my post it will bring up other posts I've done on our meetings. You might find them interesting.